As the first Ruahine Kindergarten to be built in 1955, Campbell Street Kindergarten has grown from strength to strength to become an exciting inner city learning space.
What started out as a playgroup with women from All Saint’s church fundraising effortlessly for five years, Campbell Street Kindergarten officially opened its doors in May 1955 with a small roll.
There have been numerous developments since to accommodate the changing needs of the community. The first RKA office began its life in the carpark but over time had to move to a bigger space. The fort, built in the 80s, was the place many parents remember playing on as children themselves. In 2010, a new child friendly front entrance and bathroom were installed and in 2012, the playgrounds were upgraded and this Christmas break, work will commence for an area with natural waterways including a waterfall, a 6-metre bridge and riverbed.
Head Teacher Jocelyn Dahm is excited about the learning opportunities this development will offer.
The children are excited about the fun they will have in this new area and the teachers are just as keen to talk about water conservation and river safety, as well as links to Maori legends and topical news like the Manawatu Gorge.
Teacher Paula Samson, who was previously a parent at Campbell Street Kindergarten has 9-year-old daughter Keira who is very keen to see the waterways come to life.
When Keira went to kindy here five years ago, children were involved in the design phase so she’s definitely keen to see if it’s lived up to her expectations, laughs Paula.